10.31.2008

I Hate My Tummy



Well, this phrase goes for both me AND Bruin but in this case I'm referring to the baby. I don't know what to do and am seeking advice. Bruin cries and cries when I put him on his tummy. I've tried propping things under him, giving him fun things to try to look at, and even laid him on my chest but nothing works. He just arches his back and lifts his arms and cries. Everything I read lately talks about how he should be able prop himself up and lift his head by now but he's not even close! To make the situation worse, he's developing a flat spot on the back of his head from where he sleeps and hangs out on his back. I'm starting to put him down in opposite ways in his crib and hold him sideways or prop him up to relieve pressure on his skull (those are the suggestions online) but I just feel sad like I've failed him as his mom :( Does anyone have any suggestions on how they helped their baby to like tummy time?

8 comments:

Whitney R said...

If only I had a baby so I could give you advice :)

But you haven't failed! You are doing everything you can and sometimes you can't make your baby do something they don't want to do.

Hopefully someone will have some good advice :)

*~McGarys~* said...

Some babys just don't like being on there tummy for a few months. But try laying on the floor with him on your tummy and play with him for a little while or put him on the couch and sit in front of him to get him to look at you. Other then that I'm not sure? But his a good boy and in time he will love his tummy:)

Christensen Family said...

Don't stress. Not one of my 3 boys liked tummy time. I did the same things you are doing, laying him in different spots in his crib, laying him on your tummy, etc. It'll all work out. And just keep doing it, even if he hates it. I would put them on their tummy once a day for about a minute or so, even if they cried. Also, his neck muscles will strengthen if you sit him up instead of just laying him down. Seriously don't stress. He'll figure it out sooner or later :)

*~McGarys~* said...

If you guys don't have a Bumbo that would be a perfect way to get him to sit. And would help his neck also:) I love them!

Unknown said...

Zack hates tummy time. He always throws up if he's there for like thirty seconds. But, I just leave him. I get down on my tummy with him and talk him through it and rub his back. He's not the strongest either, but I love my wimpy baby so lay off.:) You have NOT failed Bruin. You're a great mom! And tell Phil I'm not voting for Obama. I have no idea where he got that idea. Sad story, I can't vote because I was born in Germany. No, I just haven't registered and I think I'm too late. I'm a Republican!!

Unknown said...

oh, and this is joy, not todd.

Holly Mayer said...

have you tried putting a baby safe mirror under him or right in front so he can see himself?

Em said...

i'm one of amy's friends and i found your blog through hers and i had the same prob so i thought i'd give you some firsthand advice. my baby's 9 months old and for months he hated tummy time. one thing that really worked is if i laid him on his tummy on my tummy. (it's a good ab workout too cos you are lifting your head up the whole time!) he loved looking at my face and it strengthened his back and stomach a lot as he held his head up to look at mine. also we have one of those baby gyms from ikea and he liked looking at the things and swatting at them while on his tummy. that helped too. i also worried about his head shape but it's totally round now. once they start rolling, it all evens out so no stress :)