11.17.2009

A Penny For Your Thoughts

This is the debated question;

Is drinking a Decaf Caramel Frappuccino from Starbucks against the Word of Wisdom (drinking maybe one or two a year)

If you don't know what a Decaf Caramel Frappuccino is it is decaffeinated coffee blended with ice, caramel, and cream topped with whipping cream and caramel.



Phil and I would both love to hear your thoughts or opinions!!


Reference: WORD OF WISDOM

17 comments:

Jami said...

I would say no it's not against the word of wisdom, but I'm no prophet. Coffee is bad for you because of all the caffeine but if you take that out it can't be so bad right? I think you're safe. You have my permission.

Cory and Andrea said...

That would be a no! No coffee has caffine and decaf is coffee but it's not caffinated! Now where that is also an ICED drink then you're good too! Coffee was made part of the W.O.W because they would drink it so hot they were internally hurting there bodies and throat! So caffine is not the only reason for coffee or tea! It's also the danger the temperature can cause your body! So have a ball and drink as many as you want! So people like the taste of coffee but not the side effects! That's when decaf was created!

Anonymous said...

I don't think it is bad. It actually sounds good. Maybe I'll try it??
-joy

Brittany Shae said...

I'm gonna have say yes...and no boooing please! My opinion only- it's the grey line of "it's technically not coffee cause its decaffinated so it should be ok" but remember laws and rules are set to test our obedience not to let us what we can and cant do.
THAT BEING SAID-
Try a Carmel Cream Frap!! It's made with no coffee,just milk and it's better in my opinion!
(Hopefully this doesnt sound like i'm repremanding you!)

Anonymous said...

I'd have to agree with Brittany. Not that you are going to be cast down for it but the obedience thing and really "avoiding the appearance of evil", not that it is evil but you get it right. That caramel frap sounds yummy though (although I have heard those starbucks drinks have enough calories to make up 3 meals!):) Not that I count calories because I am the first one to eat ice cream before and after every meal:) I'll still like you if you drink it though:).

Stephen said...

It's not really up to us to decide why coffee and tea were included in the word of wisdom. We can't pin caffeine, hot temperature or anything. We were simply asked to abstain. Because 'coffee' and 'tea' were given to us as clarification of 'hot drinks' I would stay away from either one; caffeinated/decaffeinated, hot/cold, etc. I am with one of these other posters when it comes to the idea of staying as far away from the edge as possible. I just think there are so many other ways to enjoy food and beverage without having to walk as close to the line of our standards as possible without feeling guilty about it. It's coffee, I think it's against the word of wisdom.

Anonymous said...

"Decaffeinated coffee, despite its name, does contain some caffeine, although only about 2-5 mg per five ounce cup." http://pol.spurious.biz/dev_zero/caffeine.html

I'd just go with a frappuccino and skip the decaf. caffeine isn't good for babies anyway. =)

Dedra said...

I say yes. Why try to rationalize it? Decaf is not 100% caffiene free and if you're going to allow yourself to drink this, then what's wrong with something with a little caffiene a little further down the road? Why not make it hot this time? It just seems like a slippery slope.

Ashley said...

Wyatt and I have had this debate a few times... because I LOVE LOVE fraps!

We decided agianst fraps... and any other decaf drink. Even though it is decaf- it is still coffee.
That's just the conclusion we came to in a nutshell...

but I do what Brit does... Carmel Creme Fraps. They are good!

I really think its a personal choice :)

kirby said...

I don't think the problem is caffeine or decaf, I think the issue is that its coffee. We were told not to drink coffee, tea, and strong drinks, so to do so would be breaking the WOW. (That sounds so direct and mean, I didn't mean it that way! I've had coffee before too, I'm not judging by any means). You wouldn't drink non-alcoholic beer or wine, would you? It's the same thing. I think the whole reason that the WOW says not drink those things is because they are harmful to our bodies and can become addictive. We're supposed to stay away from ANYTHING, (not just alcohol, coffee, and tea) that can cause a dependence that can be potentially harmful. Too much sugar, fast food, things like that....are all bad for us.

And to never have caffeine would cut out chocolate, cough syrup, etc. A LOT of stuff. It's not too harmful in small doses like that, but it should be kept in check.

(Love you Holls and Phil! I think you guys are fab, this sounds like a convo Earl and I would have....)

Stephanie Pike said...

Haha I only laugh because in high school I went and got one at baskin robbins, before there were Starbucks in Fresno. My mom and dad gave me the lecture that it is the coffee, and Brittany is correct Decaf does have caffeine. but it is the way the crystals are made, not the caffeine. Other wise I would break it every day with my Diet coke and mt dew habit!

pike said...

yeah, steph said it. just go drink some mountain dew. that is what a pike would say. so that is what i am saying. Drink mountain dew and put some ice and whip cream on top.

The Price Family said...

If you two don't think that it's aganist the word of wisdom your both retarded. Love Derek

Greg and Carly said...

We were just discussing this with Greg’s family a few weeks ago! My brother in law said jokingly something that made me laugh… “The difference between a good mormon and a bad mormon is the temperature of their caffeine. Haha :)

Richard Pike said...

Holly, what does your dad say? I am curious.

Brittany said...

Oh wow. I'm a little bit amazed at some of these answers. Absolutely it is against the word of wisdom. Absolutely. And I can't believe anyone can justify it otherwise. Tea and coffee are not mentioned by name in D&C 89, only "hot drinks". However, Joseph Smith said the following:

‘I understand that some of the people are excusing themselves in using tea and coffee, because the Lord only said “hot drinks” in the revelation of the Word of Wisdom. …

“ ‘[Tea and coffee] are what the Lord meant when He said “hot drinks” ’ ” (Joseph Smith, as quoted by Joel H. Johnson, A Voice from the Mountains [Salt Lake City: Juvenile Instructor Office, 1881], p. 12)

I took the quote above from the YW Manual 1, Lesson 38, lds.org

Stephen, above, has it right on. It's not up to us to decide why the Lord has commanded us not to drink tea or coffee. To my knowledge nothing has ever been said about temperature, caffeine content, etc. It is a matter of obedience. We're told not to drink it. Because it is coffee, it is against the Word of Wisdom and the promises for being obedient to the Word of Wisdom are far too precious to gamble with.

Brittany said...

I just re-read what I wrote and want to be sure you two know that I'm not being mean about it--just direct. To me it is black and white.